Ever want to make Fido some cookies but think to yourself: “If I’m gonna go through the trouble of making cookies, it better be ones I can eat.” Well, you can make cookies both you and Fido can enjoy.
Peanut Butter Buddies
• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 cup peanut butter (chunk-style or smooth)
• 1 cup milk (can use soy milk for dogs or humans that may be sensitive to lactose)
• 2 tablespoons or less of honey (not necessary if only making these for dogs but us humans usually desire a little more sweetness)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, put peanut butter, milk, and honey. Mix at a very low speed with the paddle attachment. Very low. Otherwise you will have a big, splattering mess on your hands.
4. When the peanut butter mixture is well mixed, gradually add the dry ingredients and paddle until a dough forms and behaves nicely by cleaning up after itself by wiping the sides of the bowl clean with its own mass.
5. Place dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll to ¼-inch thickness.
6. Cut out cookies with a small dog bone-shaped cutter (shape is optional) and place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
7. Remove from oven, cool on rack, make your dog or your significant other beg for a treat, serve.
These cookies will keep for several days in an airtight container. Makes about 36 cookies.